I started working at Ellacotts in July 2017 as an AAT Trainee within the Business and Tax Services department. Prior to this, I graduated from Oxford Brookes University having studied Business and Management studies, which is what prompted me to pursue a career within accountancy. I am now studying towards my ACA qualification.
My day to day duties involve:
- Preparing accounts – this is the main part of my role at Ellacotts. I draft annual accounts for a variety of businesses who are in different industries on a daily basis. I find this extremely satisfying and rewarding as it compromises of a process that you oversee from start to finish, the end results being the final accounts.
- Preparing Corporation Tax Returns – whilst preparing clients’ accounts I also preparing corporation Tax Returns for them.
- Preparing VAT workings for clients VAT Returns.
- Liaising with clients – I speak to clients on a day-to-day basis to discuss their queries which is often through email and phone calls.
- Drafting emails and documents for my Managers for their clients.
At Ellacotts, we work within an open plan workspace, which helps to keep the team well connected and encourages everyone to communicate with individuals in other teams. This is something I enjoy, because of this, it is a great team to work within.
My Trainee role at the firm will help me a lot with my future, as I am currently starting my career path within accountancy and, as such, need to understand the core concepts, which is an essential tool that will enable me to grow. Being able to work and study at the same time is something that I value as a Trainee at Ellacotts, as I am learning on the job whilst being paid. As a Trainee, you are also assigned to a buddy when you start and my own buddy, Helen, has been extremely helpful.
Outside the office, I like to bake and enjoy finding new places to explore.