You have until 31 January 2024 to file your Self Assessment tax return online. This might seem like an age away, but the deadline always comes around much quicker than you would expect. You must fill in a tax return if HMRC has sent you a ‘notice to file’ asking you to do so.

Here are some examples of when you might need to file a Self Assessment tax return:

  • You are self-employed as a ‘sole trader’ and have a gross trading income of more than £1,000.
  • You are a partner in a business partnership.
  • You had a total taxable income of more than £100,000.
  • You have to pay the High Income Child Benefit Charge because your income is over £50,000.

In addition to this, you may also need to send a tax return if you receive any other income, such as:

  • Money from renting out a property.
  • Tips and commission.
  • Income from savings, investments and dividends.
  • Foreign income.

Other reasons that you may need to file a tax return include:

  • You are non-resident and you have taxable income in the UK (this includes non-UK resident landlords).
  • You need to pay Capital Gains Tax or report a Capital Gain.
  • You are self-employed and earn less than £1,000 but wish to pay Class 2 NICs voluntarily to protect your entitlement to State Pension and certain benefits.

The above lists are not exhaustive but can be used as a guide as to when a tax return may be required.


A £100 penalty will be applied immediately if your tax return is just one day late, and this then increases after 3 months where you will be charged a penalty of £10 per day for up to 90 days if the return is more than 3 months late.  There are also penalties for the late payment of tax so any delays can be extremely costly.

Ellacotts can help you with all areas of Self Assessment.  We can advise you whether a tax return is required and help with the whole process from registration through to submission and sometimes even cancel the ‘notice to file’ if it has been issued in error.

So rather than risk paying penalties please get in touch with our expert Tax Team if you need any assistance.

If you would like more information or any advice please get in touch with us on 01295 250401 or email You can also contact us here with your query.

Information for readers: This material is published for the information of clients. It provides only an overview of the regulations in force at the date of publication, and no action should be taken without consulting the detailed legislation or seeking professional advice. Therefore no responsibility for loss occasioned by any person acting or refraining from action as a result of the material can be accepted by the authors or the firm.