Who we help
Charities Newsletter Autumn 2019
25 Oct 2019
Charities Newsletter Spring 2019
16 Apr 2019
Charities: Trustees' Responsibilities
05 Nov 2017
Volunteers may soon have the same protection against harassment, discrimination and victimisation that employees have under part five of the Equality Act 2010.
Charities have to comply with specific requirements as well as the same regulations as most other businesses. Our specialist charities team can help you meet all your compliance needs and advise on:
If you work for a charity, either as a volunteer or as an employee, you probably don’t want to be unnecessarily burdened by the compliance of running a charity.
Our charities team can prepare your accounts in accordance with the accounting framework for charities, known as charities SORP. This allows you to concentrate on what matters and use your specialist skills.
Audit and independent examination of accounts
All charities with incoming or outgoing resources of more than £25,000 a year need a certain level of external scrutiny of their accounts. Whether you need an independent examiner or a full statutory audit, we can assist you.
Whilst charities are usually exempt from direct taxes such as Corporation Tax, they do still suffer VAT on their expenditure, which is often irrecoverable. We can:
- consider whether voluntary registration for VAT would be of benefit
- ensure that you are taking advantage of all VAT reliefs available to you
- provide specific VAT advice on fundraising
Talk to us about your charity’s requirements
Gift Aid claims
We assist in:
- preparing and submitting Gift Aid claims
- reviewing your policies and procedures
- checking information provided to donors
- testing records to ensure that they are compliant
- recommending improvements to your process as necessary
Charities can be created in a number of ways but are usually either:
- Incorporated under the Companies Act 2006 or earlier (Limited Company Charities)
- Incorporated under the Charities Act 2011 (Charitable Incorporated Organisations – CIOs)
- Created by a declaration of trust (Unincorporated Charities)
Advising on the best way to structure your charitable activities and issues such as reserves policies are just two of the many elements of the strategic support we can provide.
Recruitment for your finance team
If you are struggling to find the right candidates or simply do not have the time, we can help identify and select candidates for your finance team.
Talk to us about your charity’s requirements.
Speak to an expert
I am very impressed by Ellacotts and their technical knowledge. The level of service that I have received has been excellent.
Katharine House Hospice
Finances can be complicated.
Let us connect the dots for you...
Sign up to our newsletter
Keep up to date with our latest news.
Get in touch
Contact us to find out how we can help you and your business.