The DfE has released new guidance this month regarding Urgent Capital Support (UCS) including who can apply for it and requirements for making a claim.
Who can apply?
UCS is only available to those academy trusts that are not in receipt of Schools Condition Allocation (SCA). Therefore this is available to the following trusts:
- Trusts with less than 5 open schools as at September 2020
- Those trusts with less than 3,000 pupils at Spring 2020 Census.
- Trusts in receipt of CIF (Condition improvement funding)
Local Authority Schools are not eligible for UCS.
Full guidance for those schools eligible for SCA funding can be accessed here: Guidance for school-capital Funding
What is UCS for?
As stated within the name, UCS is there to be accessed where urgent works are needed that cannot wait until the next CIF round. UCS is there to help address urgent issues that may cause closure of all or a significant part of the school. The Academy trust is expected to attempt to fund the works through the following other means before applying:
- RPA or Insurance claim
- Through trust reserves (Capital, Revenue or otherwise)
- CIF funding (if temporary adjustments can be made to premises whilst the next funding round is awaited)
Types of Works eligible for UCS
Conditions issues likely to be in scope for UCS are:
- structural issues
- urgent health and safety (H&S) or insurance compliance issues
- urgent asbestos issue
- fire protection
- leaking roofs
- boiler and pipework failure
- electrical issues
The above list is not exhaustive.
There are a number of other points to consider if you are considering applying for UCS:
- Retrospective applications will not be considered, this includes part completed projects.
- Funding is very likely to be given in the form of an interest free loan, rather than grant funding.
- Applications will not be considered if the works have already been granted CIF funding unless the situation has deteriorated into a closure situation.
The full updated guidance can be accessed here: How to apply
Should you like more information or would like support in making a UPS application please contact Tyler Jeffs or Charlotte Toemaes on 01295 250401 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Information for readers: This material is published for the information of clients. It provides only an overview of the regulations in force at the date of publication, and no action should be taken without consulting the detailed legislation or seeking professional advice. Therefore no responsibility for loss occasioned by any person acting or refraining from action as a result of the material can be accepted by the authors or the firm.